Oyo State College Of Nursing & Midwifery Eleyele Ibadan

Oyo State School Of Nursing & Midwifery Eleyele Ibadan

 

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

The Oyo State College of Nursing and Midwifery was formerly known as Oyo State School of Nursing which was established in 1949 and sited at the Old Army Barracks in Eleyele, Ibadan while Oyo State School of Midwifery was established in 1954 at Yemetu. The School of Nursing Eleyele was the first School of Nursing in Nigeria and it trains student nurses that provide nursing care for the citizenry in rural and urban areas either at primary, secondary or tertiary level of health care settings. The two schools have been training nurses and midwives since their inception contributing their quota to human development and standardized health care delivery. On August 24, 2005 the two schools namely; Oyo State School of Nursing, Eleyele and Oyo State School of Midwifery, Yemetu, Ibadan was merged together through an enabling act of Oyo State House of Assembly. As a result of this, there was institutional transformation which culminated the two schools becoming what is known today as Oyo State College of Nursing and Midwifery Eleyele, Ibadan. The former Governor of Oyo State, His Excellency Senator Rasheed Adewolu Ladoja, upgraded the two schools to a College and in 2005; His Excellency graciously signed into law the bill to that effect. The College is now faced with challenges of expanding the scope of training, injecting vitality into academic programmes and increasing human resources and streamlining the courses in the College, in line with what is obtainable in other Polytechnics and Colleges of Nursing and Midwifery in Nigeria. The School was elevated to a College of Nursing and Midwifery in August, 2005 through Oyo State of Nigeria Gazette No.19, Vol. 30 and by the Oyo State College of Nursing and Midwifery Law, 2005. The elevation was actualized by the present Administration under the able leadership of the tireless and indefatigable Senator Abiola Ajimobi, the Executive Governor when the College took off formally in 7th March, 2014. The College has a satellite campus named School of Midwifery located in Kishi. The school offers Basic Midwifery

The Motto of the college is “Enhancing Quality Nursing Care and Safe motherhood”.